Thursday, June 16, 2011

Monsoon Rains

The best word to sum up my first few days here is rain. Lots and lots of rain. I've seen some short passing showers, steady all-day rain, and full out downpours. I came here right as monsoon season in India was beginning and I swear I've never seen as much rain in my entire life. I didn't even know it was possible to rain all day, everyday! 

According to locals, this is just the "pre-monsoon"...the real deal is supposed to hit Mumbai in July when the city gets a total of about 934mm of rain (which is the same amount of rain that Boston gets on average per YEAR...yup, crazy). So, regardless of a raincoat, it seems there's no avoiding being entirely drenched by the end of the day. Let's just say India has once again challenged my patience. Since it generally doesn't stop raining until September, it looks like I'll have to learn to accept my new, wet, home.

So, instead of feeling frustrated everytime the rain gets in the way of my plans, I've tried to distract myself by taking note of how the rains change day by day, hour by hour. My first few days here it rained steadily throughout most of the day. Sometimes it rains in the morning, afternoon, and evening with pockets of dry, humid air in between. And, surprisingly, some days you get lucky and there's only a passing shower (usually to be followed the next day by a downpour, just to keep you convinced that yes, it is offically monsoon season, so don't think you've gotten off the hook).

Well, I'm sure that's more than you ever wanted to hear about rain... more to come on my daily life here soon, I promise ;)

1 comment:

  1. hily, think of all the awesome rain playlists you can make! you have the ultimate inspiration. if you need some norah, let me know : )

    ReplyDelete